New Year's Meme
Keep reading. You'll get the details.
First though, I'm limiting my actual resolutions for '07 to five. Having too many is unrealistic.
In order, my five must-do resolutions are:
- Get one of my books published (I have two completed novels and a non-fiction work on politics in progress)
- Complete a couple of newspaper series I've been researching for months (one on Gen-Xers turning 40, and one on the history of a specific handgun)
- Better organize my desk (it's a mess, and while I can find stuff it just doesn't look good)
- Get back in "fighting" shape (I can only see four "members" of my former six pack these days)
- And care less what people think about me
Now, expanding on this a little, number five is very important to me. It is also the subject of the meme I'm passing on to you. See, while I believe we should care what others think about us - to the extent we're NOT giving them any legitimate reason to dislike us or disrespect us - I also think that sometimes we care to much. So much so that sometimes we cripple ourselves over worry that we don't look right, or sound cool, or act cool, etc.
You might remember that a few weeks back we did a six-weird-things-about-yourself-meme. So in keeping with New Year's resolution number five, I'm offering up five things about myself that I don't like because of irrational fear of what other's think. This is not to say that some of these things don't need improvement. But they don't need to be improved 'cause other folks might not like me. I think part of what helps get over this kind of caring-too-much is having a sense of humor and acknowledging your flaws.
Here are mine. Comment here and post your own on your blogs too:
- I am sort of out of shape. I mentioned above only being able to see four cans in the old sixer? Well, if I don't amp up my resistance training routine back to where it used to be I swear I'll end up developing man boobs before '07 is over. And I'm not trying to go out like that.
- I've always prided myself on a relatively sharp 'do. But I think my hairline is finally starting to fade. It used to be straight, across the top of my forehead the way a good Caesar cut is supposed to look. Now I notice my hairline is slightly round in the corners. It has receded a little. That scares me.
- I do radio on the side of my news writing gig. But I hate the sound of my voice. Ninety percent of the time it's OK. But the other 10 percent, my allergies are bothering me and my voice is nasally.
- At 34-years-old I still get self-conscious in night spots if I don't have someone to talk to. I feel like I look goofy standing there alone. There are times I'm working in a bar/club, covering a concert or special event, and there's a lull in the action. I've actually been tempted to call my wife or a buddy on the cell just to have something to do during the interlude.
- I have not yet discovered the fine balance between being a little shy and appearing obnoxious about opening up when talking to strangers. Can't help it. I don't want to come off like "me, me me!" But you know what? Maybe I'm worth talking about. There's good pride to be had. Not all of it has to do with arrogance and shameless self-promotion.
So those are my "spin-offs" from resolution number five. Those spin-offs are the content of the meme.
What things about yourself do you worry about too much, where other folks' opinions of you are concerned? Are these things you're going to try to address in the new year?