Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Two Minute Warning

So today's the big day. I can't tell you how happy I am that Super Bowl ZZZ is finally here.

Some of you are gonna give me crap, 'cause you think I'm being facetious or melodramatic. But I swear it has been an exhausting week. I've had to do more parties than I did New Year's weekend.

But it's over. Now I can lay on the couch on the porch, sip suds, enjoy a good stogie, watch the half time commercials, and just do little else.

First though, my final thoughts:
  • Mark Wahlberg is a classy guy. In the few minutes I got to chat with him Friday night, he was all about his charitable foundation that raises scholarship money for needy youth to attend college. Whereas other celebs I chatted up were all about what they were wearing and how cool it was to have a little limelight.
  • Vince Papale, the guy Wahlberg portrays in Invincible, a true story about an Average Joe who gets a shot at playing in the NFL, is even nicer. At one party I attended, Papale stood out for his attitude. He was just thrilled to be alive. He was running around introducing people to his son and daughter - cute kids. He was grateful that Wahlberg did him justice in the film. He was just having fun.
  • The funniest comedians are the ones who tell stories, not jokes. Actor, stand-up, and former MTV VJ Bll Bellamy put on a pretty good show at B.E.D. nightclub in South Beach Friday night, and it occured to me that he might've told one joke. The rest were stories about his childhood, his upbringing, good and bad scenes from the old neighborhood. So it's understandable why comedian Rick Reynold's "Only the truth is funny" routine was so successful back in the day.
  • Finally, in praising the Colts' amazing offense, let's not forget that you also have to stop the other team from scoring in order to win. That's why I'm bucking the pro analysts and picking Da Bears to take it this evening.

That's all for me, folks. I'll pick things up after the game.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

  • Don't know anything about the super bowl cept Prince is doing a James Brown tribute.

    Dave Barry's column today in the Wash. Post Style section had me cryin.

    Also, I yuv Marky Mark.

    By Blogger Lee, at 3:51 PM  

  • Not going to watch the superbowl because I don't know the first thing about baseball.

    Wahlberg sounds like a cool guy, that can be rare with hollywood types.

    I like the Double Maduro cigars I just had one last night.

    Enjoy the game.

    By Blogger none, at 6:24 PM  

  • OOps, well, that run back at the very start was cool anyway. Wahlberg is a great actor, and I'm SO glad he's outgrown the underwear thing of the old days.

    By Blogger FHB, at 12:42 AM  

  • I enjoy reading your take on people and who they are for real.

    I remember taking our youngest daughter to see New Kids On The block when she was small (thats the same Donnie isn't it???) She's embarassed about it now - she's 25.

    I finally called a Superbowl correctly. I really didn't care who won - but I like Manning, I like the coach and I felt badly last year when he lost his son during the playoffs. Apparently he never yells at the players.

    Even I yell at the players.... from behind the big screen of course.,

    By Blogger Pamela, at 2:48 AM  

  • The superbowl always lets me know that spring, and baseball season, are not too far off.

    By Blogger M@, at 7:51 AM  

  • I hope you enjoyed your rest during the game. I'm glad the Colts dominated and I never have to hear people bitch about Peyton Manning not being able to win the big one ever again!

    By Blogger captain corky, at 8:53 AM  

  • I am envious of the Mark W. meeting.

    Hope you got to relax and chill out for the game.

    By Blogger Christina_the_wench, at 12:21 PM  

  • I enjoyed the game everyone and now it's back to work.

    BTW, Pamela, you and I watch the games the same way. I yell at the screen. I just wrote something the other day about Party City carrying a line of foam bricks for people who like to throw things at the TV.

    And I agree with all who said they didn't care who won. I thought both coaches were classy, but, while I thought the Bears would win, the sentimental side of me was hoping the Colts would take it, considering all the hardship Tony Dungy has endured over the past few years with family members dying.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 1:07 PM  

  • I heart Marky Mark

    By Blogger Dayngr, at 1:55 PM  

  • You know the Bears lost, right?

    Just checking.

    :-)

    By Blogger SWF42, at 4:26 PM  

  • I'm glad to hear that Mark Wahlberg is a decent guy. He was one of my Hunks of the Month. Yeah, I really do that. Figure, why not spread the love?

    I agree with you whole-heartedly about comedians who are story-tellers.

    For me, the Super Bowl was all about seeing Prince perform. We had a young couple over who were both born after Purple Rain, so they just didn't get it.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I shall visit yours again very soon. I love good writing.

    By Blogger katrice, at 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home