Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Friday, May 25, 2007

Quick Hits for the Holiday Weekend

*This is Andy, healthy Andy. I had to hold her firmly for the pic, 'cause she's normally bouncing off of walls.


This is sick, exhausted Andy, after spending two days at the animal hospital battling an inexplicable infection and costing me a grand (can you believe that? I think the Bentley I saw in the parking lot must have belonged to the veterinarian). I'm not one of those animal nuts who dresses his pets up in clothes that match his own. And the truth is, prior to Andy I didn't even like cats. I thought they were curse-carrying, spooky creatures. But since I am fond of her, even though she occasionally scratches, think a good thought for her as she recovers at home. And wish her a happy belated birthday. She turned 1 last week.


**Moving right along. Guys what do you see in this picture? A perfect manicure, that's what! No shame in it and nothing feminine about it. My grandfather, James Sr., used to get the nails hooked up and the shoes shined every week. He took a bullet and grenade shrapnel in WWII. Pretty manly. Fellas, it's imperative that we keep the nails and cuticles fit. We don't want them looking like we tried to dig a hole in the sidewalk using our fingers. I have griped about women with mangled toes, squeezed like bunion biscuits into too-tiny shoes. It's only fair that we keep our hands right. What's good for the goose...And Big Daddy, before you say anything, there's no dirt under these nails, in spite of the shadowing.


***I'm in the media, and though I may have a bias in favor of us news folk, I've never fully bought into the political (liberal/conservative) conspiracy hype. I think good journalists report the facts. That being said, media includes more than news people. It includes entertainment magazines and TV shows too, for example. With them, I have no doubts that sometimes there is an agenda. By comparison to MTV's target audience member I'm an old man. Nevertheless, Wednesday night I watched the reunion special for the recently concluded "Real World: Denver." Relatively early in the show, one of the cast members a young black man named Stephen, was taken to task for not being more open-minded about another cast member, Davis's homosexuality. Stephen was scolded for not having learned anything new during the show about gay people, or at least not enough new stuff to help keep himself from being prejudiced against them. But Davis, who in a drunken fit on an early episode of the show referred to black cast mate Tyree as "some nigger" who "wants to kill me," wasn't asked if he'd learned to suppress or overcome his prejudice. Hmmm, agenda MTV? Neither the incident nor the slur were brought up during that reunion special. Nah, MTV would never have an agenda. It's all in my imagination.

****Finally Memorial Day. I have no profound words, only profound respect for any man or woman who ever volunteered for military service. It's not about liking or disliking war, or supporting or not supporting war. Setting politics aside, you have to have a deep love for your country and what you believe it stands for in order to willingly put yourself in the line of fire. To all the families who have lost loved ones in service, may your memories this holiday weekend be fond, peaceful, and pleasant.

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

  • Thanks James, that answers my question about journalism from about 7 weeks ago :D

    Yeah I agree about the Real world thing. everyone should be held to the same standard if there are going to be any at all.

    By Blogger none, at 2:17 PM  

  • I've never had a manicure, but it is important to keep the fingernails clean. It's one of the first things girls will notice. If your fingernails are dirty they assume you're dirty. At least that's what I read in a Cosmo in a doctor's waiting room once.

    MTV has many agendas. They do all these specials about tolerance then they make sure that the most disruptive people on their reality shows are black or gay. It's intentional.

    By Blogger Jay, at 2:39 PM  

  • Poor kitty!!
    As for MTV, it stopped being interesting when it stopped playing videos and started trying to make a statement. How many years is it now?? screw that. I just want music from them!

    By Blogger Claudia , at 3:16 PM  

  • Best wishes to your cat — my own feline swallowed a ponytail older when she was 3 or 4 months old. That surgery was a pretty hefty bill as well.

    And like you, I wasn't originally a "cat person."

    Funny how they grow on us.

    By Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy, at 3:23 PM  

  • The wife and I have had cats since we've been together. One lived to be over 20.

    Re: nails, I once heard that a man's hands are sometimes the first thing a woman notices. (Yeah, right.) I did have an interviewer tell me he gives less consideration to a person who lacks the personal hygiene to keep his nails trim.

    By Blogger The Sarcasticynic, at 5:30 PM  

  • *sigh* your nails look much nicer than mine.

    Hope your kitty bounces back quickly. It's staggering how fast those vet bills add up, isn't it?

    Happy Memorial Weekend -
    fiwa

    By Blogger fiwa, at 5:49 PM  

  • Is that pink nail polish? ;)

    By Blogger GrizzBabe, at 8:28 PM  

  • I hope Andy recovers quickly. She looks like Truffle, our in-house friend of the feline persuasion.

    There is no question that the Bentley belongs to your vet. It's probably his /her second car. The other is a Ferrari.

    I agree with your thoughts on Memorial Day. I don't believe in Mr. Bush's war, but I absolutely support the men and women who are sacrificing themselves for the rest of us. There ought to be a better way.

    By Blogger heartinsanfrancisco, at 9:26 PM  

  • Poor kitty, hope she recovers soon...and bounces off the walls too :)
    Lovely nais I must proclaim James...better than mine..then again, the de bug at work kills my skin and nails.
    Les We Forget..memorial day, for those passed aswell as those that continue to serve.

    By Blogger Cazzie!!!, at 1:35 AM  

  • Hi James, I'm happy to see that Andy is home safe and by the looks of the picture, resting nicely :)
    Send Mrs. B my love and you two have a great Memorial weekend.

    Cheers from Portland!

    Jean

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:59 AM  

  • I have, we have two cats and yes; though there's no big wheels outside- the bills run high.
    I had a friend back in Dublin Liz Sherry (she kept her first husbands name) who had a son named Simon who is homosexual. He was on that real world sometime ago. His boyfriend is/was a son of William King, the Trumpet player I hope I got my facts right for it has been 20 years since I had any real contact except for e-mail with Liz, anyway. What I am trying to say...she told me.....agenda...it's run by homosexuals, so that's why tere is more concern.
    War, what is it good fo absolutely nothing the song goes. The rich start it and send the poor to fight it full-stop However I know if your neighbour is in a scrap you'll be inclined to help out to try to stop it and that might require athrowing a punch or two. you'll only find out perhaps later who was to blame, well some might; you might have been killed in the fray/helping your neighbour.
    Y;-) Paddy. Be cool

    By Blogger Momentary Madness, at 4:12 AM  

  • my dad called my pets "14-karat Parasites"

    I love pedicures. but they are an expensive habit --- Glad to see you have "purty" hands. You could be a hand model.

    M.T.V Say it a couple of times
    Empty what?

    By Blogger Pamela, at 3:36 PM  

  • A black man with a cat and a manicure....AND a turtle neck in May in Miami.

    James. I. AM. SOOOO. DISAPPOINTED.

    ...for shame.

    By Blogger Rune, at 10:27 AM  

  • I'm back at work this morning and tired. Do you have coffee?

    Hope your weekend was fab, James.

    By Blogger Christina_the_wench, at 7:11 AM  

  • Thanks for the PSA on male hands/nails, JB.

    It irks me to see ugly, bitten off fingernails. At least buy a clipper, guys! They're 99cents at Walmart!

    By Blogger SWF42, at 9:57 AM  

  • What a pretty kitty! I hope she's feeling better soon. She looks like she's a purrer.

    By Blogger Malnurtured Snay, at 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home