Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

T. Day Images

What's crackin' folks? Hope you had a good Thanksgiving week. For me it was as much about recharging my batteries as it was about being thankful and eating dead birds.

I have a lot of writing to do on lots of madness in the news. But I just got back to Miami last evening and I'm still dotting my i's and crossing my t's. So for now, check out these family pics from Thanksgiving. Enjoy, and M@, no snide comments about my fam, please.

We spent the week in Hampton Roads, Va., where my dad served most of his military career. The cool thing is like all military retirees he still has access to the facilities. So he and my mom scored us a log cabin on the Fort Story U.S. Army Base in Virginia Beach. The cabin, within a couple hundred yards of the beach, is just a stone's throw from the Old Cape Henry Lighthouse. The lighthouse was built in 1792 near the site of the early settler's First Landing, on their way to the Jamestown Settlement, I believe. So that's pretty much the extent of my shaky history lesson. Here are the pics:

This is a sea snail. You can't see the body, 'cause it's nestled in the sand. And it's about four times bigger than the photo suggests. But I'm a lousy photographer and didn't adequately convey the creature's size.


This is Mrs. B and me along with my sister, my stupid bro-in-law (I kid, I kid!) and Ma and Pa Burnett at Ma and Pa's house.


This is the front of our log cabin. Pretty cool. There's a fire pit right next to it, and that's where I spent a couple of evenings, meditating w/the flames and a can of Burnettiquette brand beverage. I also confess though I spent a couple of evenings zoning out on the couch in front of the TV. Yes, the cabin had electricity...and cable...but really lousy Internet access options.


Me, Mrs. B, and Burnettiquette dog in front of the cabin.


Me and Burnettiquette dog after a stroll through the surf, looking for king crab shells on the beach by the cabin.


Here's a pic from the beach of the Old Cape Henry Lighthouse next to the new Cape Henry Lighthouse. The new one is used to help guide ship traffic in the Chesapeake Bay.

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • Great pics!

    Mom & Dad look young. God bless you all.

    This is gonna sound stupid no matter how I put it- but the light background makes the camera adjust for that light level, so the wall is perfectly exposed and the dark faces are underexposed. Still: A great looking bunch of people. Again, God bless you all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 PM  

  • Thanks Og. I got the same critique from my mom after she reviewed the pics. I'm a word guy. But I'm learning the camera, slowly.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 11:04 PM  

  • After getting a close-up look at your Thanksgiving, mine seemed more like a "Spanksgiving."

    Seriously, it's good to see you two get away for the holiday, and just allow life to catch up.

    Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger The First Domino דומינו, at 12:08 AM  

  • I'm envious
    I love the ocean

    You should have put your toe by the snail (I've never seen one so it would have been a nice comparison)

    By Blogger Pamela, at 2:36 AM  

  • Welcome back James, and thanks for sharing the lovely photos of your Thanksgiving break. I agree with the commenter above about your parents looking very young - very attractive too. The cabin looks really neat though as do the photos of the surroundings there. Nice little "getaway" for you and Mrs. B.

    By Blogger Jeni, at 2:40 AM  

  • I'm sure you hear this all the time but you're such a good writer. I'm very impressed.

    Goodlife.

    By Blogger Robert Shapiro, at 4:50 AM  

  • Great pictures!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

  • Happy Thanksgiving. Nice pictures!

    By Blogger The CEO, at 11:22 PM  

  • Happy holidays James. What a great-looking family. Thanks for sharing the pics.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  

  • Thank you forr sharing this

    By Anonymous Construction Cleaning Baltimore, at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home