Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Friday, December 21, 2007

Pre-holiday Roundup

What's up, friends and frienemies? I have sufficiently thawed from my New England romp over the weekend and earlier this week. And now I'm preparing for Christmas the way it was meant to be observed: in short sleeves and shorts, and surrounded by palm trees, wild iguanas, and bad drivers.

But first, a few observations:
  • You guys know that I've complained for some time that civility was becoming a lost art. I still think we have some work to do. But I've encountered no fewer than a dozen people since I got back to town on Wednesday who deferred their own comfort in order to demonstrate a courtesy to me. In some cases it was something as simple as holding a door for me or allowing me to merge in traffic, after I'd let 10 other drivers merge in front of me. In other cases it was more complicated and work-related, like someone adjusting his busy schedule in order to make himself available to me for an interview, or a customer service person on the phone expressing empathy with me and not acting put out. There's hope. Of course, there's no hope for the mystery neighbor, who after two years of my griping, is still letting his dog(s) bend biscuits on my swale without picking them up, biscuits that I unfortunately stepped in Thursday morning while wearing my favorite Chelsea boots. That neighbor will be extended the courtesy of an arse-whupping and a dog punting, just as soon as I can find them.
  • I am a fan of equal rights between men and women, and all that jazz. And I love jazz. But there are limits to how rigid we should be in that arena. Don't get your boxers in a bunch. Read on, first. Jobs, voting, salary, and civil rights, etc? Yes for equality! Nightclubs and the like? No!!! I say this, because a numbnut in NYC is suing a group of nightclubs alleging that he and the other guys from A Night at the Roxbury all men over 21 who have visited these clubs since 2004 have been discriminated against through Ladies Night policies. Roy Den Hollander says that when clubs including Lotus and the China Club offer women-only discounted drinks or entry it costs him. Roy, I've been out of the game for about three years now, but the force is still strong with me. So I can tell you without a doubt, you're barking up the wrong tree. Your logic is bad. Saying that discounts for ladies hurt you is like saying a 70-year-old getting the senior discount at Burger King hurts you, because you paid full price. It's not their fault you're not as old as them. But I feel your pain. There have been ladies nights - especially when I lived in a cold climate - on which I wished I could get easy access to the club. I wished I could get my first drink free, and so on. But unless you're going out to size up other guys - and if you are that's just fine - then you need Ladies Nights, because in a nightclub setting women who might spend freely elsewhere are notoriously cheap. They don't want to pay cover charges and what not. So if it's female companionship and dance-partnership that you seek, drop your lawsuit and give your full support to Ladies Nights everywhere. Or else you risk creating the nightmare of the year-round Sausage Fest.
  • Jamie Lynn Spears.
  • What? You expected me to say more about her ↑? I could barely bring myself to type the name. OK, fine. All I have to say is be careful that you've not just memorized but also comprehended your sermon notes before you deliver that sermon to the general public.
  • May every one of the U.S. presidential candidates, at least those who have somehow managed straight faces while taking cheap shots at opponents, get lumps of coal in their stockings. And Mitt Romney, I applaud your late father's civil rights record, but leave the figures of speech and analogies to the PROfessional speech writers.
  • Who knew? Turns out Ms. Puerto Rico was telling the truth a few weeks back when she said her Ms. Universe pageant gown had been sabotaged with pepper spray. She was lambasted after making that claim by pundits (and bloggers) who suggested she was just attention-hungry and that no one had tampered with her dress. I'm gonna chalk the skepticism up to most of us being used to ultra-pretty people using Jedi mind tricks to get us to believe anything they say. I pledge in the new year to cut back on my suspicious nature. This poor woman was simply being honest. One bit of food for thought for you conspiracy theorists out there: Of all the substances that could have gotten on her dress, how did she know specifically that pepper spray had been used? Lucky guess, or has she been maced before?
  • Finally, one more time for good measure, I'd like to say Ha ha ha! and Merry Christmas to my friends in Australia. Just teasing. Turns out that whole brouhaha was bunk.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Merry Christmas JB and to Mrs. B! Here's to more of the good, less of the bad and some justice for us all :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:52 PM  

  • "But I've encountered no fewer than a dozen people since I got back to town on Wednesday who deferred their own comfort in order to demonstrate a courtesy to me."

    >> JB, it's called the Christmas spirit. But, don't worry -- things will get back to normal in the new year.

    >> Roy Den Hollander, et al, haven't lost their virginity, that's why they're so uptight. Step up someone, save the rest of us.

    >> Jamie Lynn Spears. There're thousands of JLSs around the nation, and she gets singled out because she might influence other young girls to do the same.

    Who's influencing them now? I'd say it's the thousands of horny boys/young men around the nation.

    Except for the media speculating from time to time about her boy friend being brought up on charges of statutory rape, the boys/young men in these cases usually get a pass.

    "And Mitt Romney, I applaud your late father's civil rights record, but leave the figures of speech and analogies to the PROfessional speech writers."

    >> Coattails are coattails even if they're in name only and have no Cotton, silk, or wool of reality.

    Politicians will do almost anything to garner votes.

    "Of all the substances that could have gotten on her dress, how did she know specifically that pepper spray had been used?"

    >> Pardon my pepper-spray ignorance (happily), but does it smell anything like chili peppers?

    "Finally, one more time for good measure, I'd like to say Ha ha ha! and Merry Christmas to my friends in Australia."

    As a child, it wasn't the booming ho, ho, ho that scared the dickens out of me, it was Santa's white face, and that blood-red costume he wore.

    News Bulletin: the World is skipping Christmas this year. The birth of the Christ on December 25,2006 did little to change the hearts of humankind during 2007.

    The evil forces that killed him those many years ago, still abound.

    Maybe we'll celebrate next year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 PM  

  • Ahhhh, that reminds me of the time *I* marched w/ Martin Luther King Jr. Ph.D.

    Those were the days!

    Merry Christmas.

    By Blogger M@, at 10:10 PM  

  • Merry Christmas James.

    By Blogger Pamela, at 2:03 PM  

  • Nice blog ppost

    By Anonymous Julian, at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home