Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Food for thought

I have never been much of a conspiracy theorist, but when I heard last week about the soylent water many of us have been drinking - if you drink tap water - I did flash back to my college theories that the moon landing was fake, JFK was shot by several people, and there really are aliens living underground in Roswell, New Mexico. I haven't purposely drank tap water for years. I have been giving it to my dog though. And based on the list of medicines they say are in our water supply, my dog will probably never catch a cold or have a puppy. Of course, he is a boy so he wouldn't have had puppies anyway, although the scientists involved say some male fish in the affected bodies of water are becoming female and having eggs. I'm surprised Cheko the Dog's fur hasn't turned into a coat of armor. He may be getting bottled water from now on.

Barack Obama's former pastor is out there and what we've seen of his sermons on TV has been outrageous. But don't think he's the last religious advisor who will undergo scrutiny. You heard it here first...or maybe you heard it somewhere else. Either way, if things continue as they are, expect the national media - especially the TV folks to begin looking at the ministers whom John McCain has befriended and accepted as advisors, the ministers, who in the vein of Pat Robertson, have given sermons in the recent past about terrorist attacks and natural disasters in the U.S. "possibly" being God's punishment or God's wrath against homosexuals. And if you think it will end there, you're kidding yourself. It'll only be a matter of time before a Catholic candidate is asked to denounce the Pope, because of what some folks view as the Church's once lackluster efforts to control pedophile priests. This ball is only going to start rolling faster.

As long as we're in the vicinity, I had a long chat with a buddy of mine the other day about all this racial chat that's been going on with TV pundits on the cable news networks. He wanted to know if I was angry. I asked in what respect. He said, in general. Based on what the pundits have been saying his assumption is that all black people, or most anyway, walk around pissed off everyday, bitter and hating life. I have an announcement: The pundits are idiots. Besides, if we're gonna be blunt about this topic, why does anyone care what a bunch of middle-aged (mostly white) guys who live in gated communities have to say about what minorities in the U.S. think and feel? What do those knuckleheads know? Here's a tip. Most middle of the road black folks in the U.S. aren't angry. They're cautiously optimistic with a sprinkling of lingering cynicism - a description which, if you think about it, could be applied to middle of the road folks from every other racial and ethnic group in the U.S. too. Remember, the pundits are idiots. And will remain so...until they invite me on.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Hear, hear!

    I think Obama's speech yesterday hit the nail on the head - we dwell on these things internally and sometimes they come out. That's no reason to exclude people from the conversation. I loved the way he put things and made the issue into one that lives in reality rather than one that only dwells in punditland.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 1:01 PM  

  • Sorry to leave this solicitation on your comments section, but I couldn't find your email address. I enjoyed reading through your blog, and know that you already write for the Herald, but I'd love to extend this offer to you although I've already sent a media kit to the paper, to some other contact.

    I’m going around to all the South Florida bloggers/freelancers to let them know about our new books about the area: Historic Photos of Palm Beach County, the Historic Photos of Fort Lauderdale, and the Historic Photos of Greater Miami. We’d love to send you a complimentary copy for possible review consideration on your blog for one or all of these titles. The books are produced in a 10x10 large format and all images used are culled from several archives that represent rare or never before seen photos of the South Florida area. We’re trying to get the word out to local folks, so I hope you don’t mind me dropping you a line to let you know about our books!

    There is an upcoming signing for Seth Bramson, author of the Historic Photos of Palm Beach County on April 7th at the Barnes & Noble on Legacy Avenue in Palm Beach Gardens at 7pm.

    Hope to hear from you soon. Just email me your mailing address and I’ll get a copy out to you today.

    Best,
    Rachel Joiner
    Marketing Manager
    Turner Publishing
    www.turnerpublishing.com

    By Blogger Turner Publishing, at 1:58 PM  

  • We now return you to your regularly scheduled comments section and hope you're having a good day.

    I'm not sure when the Old Testament went out of fashion, but I clearly remember reading that we weren't supposed to hold the son responsible for the sins of the father. I include religious leaders in my interpretation of the word 'father' in this Biblical reference. That would be *all* religious leaders, not just restricted to those of writers of the Miami newspapers, and/or political candidates for the Presidency.

    As for the soylent water, you're talking parts per billion here. Ask for a test of your bottled water. You are in for a shock if you think it's purer than tap water.

    By Blogger The CEO, at 8:14 AM  

  • "Soylent water" - much tap water is purer than bottled water, in the UK anyhow. For that matter, quite a few firms bottle the water which is also supplied to 'tap water' companies.

    By Blogger Bronchitkat, at 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home