Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Monday, October 30, 2006

The Cowboy Code (I forget what chapter we're on)

So my guy back in Milwaukee met a nice woman a few weeks ago, and they've been flirting - not just with each other but with the whole idea of the two of them pairing off.

Things appeared to be going well, until he called her a few nights ago, blanked out (he says ;>) when she answered the phone, and responded to her with the wrong name: as in "Sally" answer's "Hello?" And my guy replies "Hey 'Suzie,' this is Fred!"

I say they just met, so the situation is savageable. He has to make light of it, be a little self-deprecating, and tell her something to the effect of "Listen, I was tired. I was nervous. This is still so new to me. And for just a split second my brain failed me. It may be a little early to tell you this, but I really do like you, and the name of a recent acquaintance just popped into my head. Forgive me. It won't happen again."

He doesn't think it's salvageable. He thinks there's no way to explain that screw up. I say it's better than using the wrong name during an intimae moment.

What do you say?

9 Comments:

  • Me sucedió a mi alguna vez, y es un momento muy embarazoso, quieres que te trague la tierra. Por suerte pude safar y fuí perdonado.
    Moraleja: Búscate siempre parejas con el mismo nombre!!
    Saludos

    By Blogger animal storm, at 11:59 AM  

  • It is early, so it should be salvageable. Of course, if the lady in question is a stone-cold jealous type, then it's a lost cause, and he can be thankful that he found out now.

    By Blogger mkhall, at 1:02 PM  

  • I'd say what you said, but leave off the part about "and the name of a recent acquaintance just popped into my head." No need to imply there is actually a woman by that name, whether there is or not.

    By Blogger The Sarcasticynic, at 2:29 PM  

  • I agree with you. And if she's really interested in him, she'll overlook it as long as he comes clean.

    By Blogger Balou, at 5:06 PM  

  • After the tiff I started over the Jehovah's Witnesses at my door speaking in Spanish and getting salty with me for not being able to reciprocate, some of you may think the following is hypocritical of me: A translation of Animal Storm's comment. I thought about it. It makes no sense to not put the comment in a way that everyone could read it. So it made perfect sense to me to translate...with the help of a halfway decent piece (strong emphasis on the "halfway" of language translation software. Here is what I got from it: "It happened me to my one time, and it is a very embarrassing moment, you want the land to swallow you. By luck I was able (didn't translate) and I was forgiven. Moral: You always seek partners with the same name!! Greetings."

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 5:16 PM  

  • It's pretty salvageable, but only to the extent that she likes him. Names are probably one of the most important things we hear, so she'd probably be pretty miffed. I like your idea about admitting nervousness - she just might find that cute enough to let it by.

    As an interesting aside, that mistake may even BENEFIT your friend - because it tells her there are other women in the picture. There's nothing like a hint of competition from another woman to get someone to step up to the plate.

    By Blogger The Dummy, at 6:20 PM  

  • It's very simple, she can just say, "Oh, is this Fred (wrong last name), or Fred (wrong again), or Fred (one last wrong name). If they both laugh, it's a go. I call them all Darlin' myself.

    By Blogger wordsonwater, at 8:27 PM  

  • A name miffed early on is no problem for a true playa. If he can't explain that away, he's really got no business trying to date women until his game gets stronger. How is he ever going to explain cooing the name of an ex during sex if he can't handle a tongue slip-up during the early awkward phone calls. Besides, a woman who can't understand that her new love interest did not just land here in an egg from Ork (despite her prayers to the contrary) isn't ready for any relationship either.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:18 AM  

  • There is a disease called name dyslexia (it's exactly what you thnk it is) which comes handy in situations like this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home