Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Monday, November 20, 2006

Break out the snow shovel, ma. It's a gettin' chilly outside.

Sorry, but having lived for seven years in Wisconsin before moving to South Florida last year, I can't help but poke fun at Florida natives who break out the turtlenecks and boots when the temperatures fall below 80.

I'm probably exaggerating a little with the temps, but not by much. For three days now the weather people down here have been raving about the coming cold front. Today temps have been in the 60s. This is the cold front.

Now, to be fair, I have lost a little bit of my cold tolerance. When it is warm - like 80 or higher 90% of the time, year round - your body gets used to it.

When we moved here last fall and winter came shortly after I was still walking around my neighborhood in shorts and sandals (and a sweatshirt). Today, I admit I am wearing pants with my sweatshirt.

But I will have to be in SoFla for 100 years before you catch me marching around here in tall boots, thick sweaters - I will wear a light sweater or hoodie or whatever, or winter coats.

On principle alone, even if it snowed here tomorrow I don't think I could break out the winter gear.

9 Comments:

  • Man, I grew up in northeastern Vermont (which, because of the Gulf Stream or some such weather phenomenom shit, is colder than Quebec to the north.

    Your blood has definately thinned during the past year. I'm now more succeptible to the cold, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  

  • When i went to the UK they were all bemoaning their summer heat.

    I was rugged up in jeans and a jacket.
    It's all relative i guess.

    By Blogger Steph, at 7:44 PM  

  • James, my friend, this "blood thinning" is a load of hooey. I've lived in this misbegotten swelter for 36 years and counting, and I don't put on a jacket until the adjusted temperature gets into the low 30s. Maybe Kentucky just grows a tougher stock than... Ohio, was it?

    By Blogger mkhall, at 9:52 PM  

  • Steph, I grew up in a part of the U.S. w/a relatively cold winter season - temperatures in the 30 degree farenheit range. But still, when I moved to the UK for a temporary job I found that I was always cold there.

    And Marc, Ohio? That's blasphemy. I came here from Wisconsin.

    Kidding. They make 'em tougher in Kentucky than Wisconsin, which wouldn't matter to me 'cause I was "made" in Virginia. But I swear after coming here from the Milwaukee cold I can't take a chill as well as I used to be able to. Maybe it's all in my head. But it feels real. Even so, like I said, it'll be another 100 years before you catch me in full-on winter gear down here.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 10:22 PM  

  • Man, after I went back to FL from Baltimore, I was back to being my wimpy Floridian self within two months...60 degrees and I'm grabbing my jacket!! brrr...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 AM  

  • I'm one of those people who wants a state of emergency declared whenever the temperatures dip below forty degrees, so I will just sit in my corner with my space heater and remain silent. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 AM  

  • When I moved from Seattle to La Jolla, where it does get quite cool in the evening, I made the mistake of thinking that 50 degree nights meant I needed to put on a wool sweater. I quickly learned why they call it a "sweater," because I was sweating from the exertion of walking from my apartment door to my car.

    It took me a while to get used to the coastal microclimates, too. One day it was grey and "chilly" (60's) in La Jolla, so I decided to drive into San Diego to have a hot chocolate. About 5 miles east of La Jolla, the sun was out, it was about 80 degrees, and the last thing I wanted was a freakin' hot chocolate!

    My point is that I can relate to being fooled into thinking it's cooler than it actually is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 PM  

  • I'm always looking for an excuse to wear boots - 60 degrees is good enough for me!

    By Blogger Tere, at 10:25 PM  

  • People, it is NOT 'always cold in the UK'. Damp, perhaps, but not always cold. Back in the summer temperatures were up in the 90s for weeks at a time. Humid too.

    I mean, it's only (goes to check on thermometer to convert °C to °F) 'bout 50° outside today - whic is kinda warm for the end of November. But it's also damp, so it's officially "Chilly".

    Meanwhile we've just been putting the heating on in the evenings, & that's a gas fire, not central heating.

    OK, it's cold further north. 'Here' is central Portsmouth (UK) which is on the south coast, so it's a tad warmer.

    Just sling on another jumper & go for a brisk walk, or cycle, instead of driving everywhere!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home