Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Debriefing

What's up friends and frienemies?

I won't whine that it's been a long week, 'cause no doubt plenty of you have had one too. I will say though, I've been swamped working on feature stories for the paper. On a good day in a good week I can slip in a blog post during the work day. But frankly, in weeks like this, by day's end sometimes - especially at the end of a long day - the last thing I want to do is come home and sit back down in front of a keyboard.

All that being said, this week is officially over. So consider this our board meeting. Let me fill you in on the lot and the little of the past few days:

  1. My next article, the one that took up the early part of the week, will run in Sunday's paper and, as usual, will e on MiamiHerald.com. It's a profile of IndyCar racer and Dancing With the Stars Season 5 winner Helio Castroneves. The story's more about Castroneves' life at home and his unique design and decorating tastes.
  2. People can change in a good way, I guess. That guy who tried to bully me off of a public sidewalk near my job last fall, smiled and waved at me earlier this week and asked how I was doing, while I was strolling on a coffee break. Maybe it was for embarrassment. But I give him the benefit of the doubt. If you don't remember that story, say so, and I'll amend this post and put the text of the column I wrote about the incident at the bottom.
  3. Like dance music? I've never been a huge fan. I've never quite been able to tell the difference in "electronica" and "dance" and "techno" and "house." And it all makes me think in the back of my mind of A Night at the Roxbury. I really liked that movie. Either way, I know who some of the big DJs are, and I respect their work. It's entertaining, and it's an honest living. Mrs. B knows more about 'em than I do. Anywho, while on assignment Wednesday night I got to meet Paul Oakenfold. If you're into electronica music, you'll know that name. Nice guy.
  4. I finally lost some of my fickle nature and picked a name for my Web site. I hope to unveil the site within a week or so. Until then, you have to wait to get the name.
  5. It never ceases to amaze me what people will do to themselves in the name of good looks. I stopped in Whole Foods this afternoon to grab lunch and saw a woman with a swollen mug. I was about ready to offer to call 911 for her, under the assumption that someone had just punched her in her mouth, creating a permanent pout, when I realized that she was fresh from a collagen injection. I hope that swelling goes down at least a little, 'cause she looked like she'd been pimp-slapped. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

  • It's been a long month, hasn't it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 PM  

  • Sure as hell has!

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 9:23 PM  

  • If I ever get something injected in me out of vanity, I HOPE someone pimpslaps me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM  

  • If someone injects me involuntarily I hope someone pimpslaps me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 PM  

  • Og, I'm with ya. I've had oversized lips since, well since back in the day. I wish I'd known in elementary school that I was "exotic."

    Kim, if someone injects you involuntarily I'll help you make the citizen's arrest.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 11:16 PM  

  • Excellent. I shall be on the lookout for lurking injectors.
    That doesn't sound quite right.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 PM  

  • All things being equal, I'll give the first quarter a 7, I'm glad I lived through it, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

    By Blogger The CEO, at 3:58 PM  

  • One of my dearest friends at work, a beautiful black woman with such a sweet face and lovely full lips was applying something from a tube to her mouth while we were in a taxi in Denver. "What is that?" I ask. Oh, she says, it's great, it's to make your lips fuller." "Darlin" I said, "give me that. You know you don't need it." "You're right about that," she laughed. Now I don't get it. What is the obsession with swollen lips? Not to mention the shinny gooey mess those products leave on your mouth. Do men like that?

    BTW, It’s good to finally have time to catch up on my blogs. Denver can do without me until the end of June evidently. Glad you gave me a recap of the week.

    By Blogger wordsonwater, at 2:55 PM  

  • ugh. Have you seen Priscilla Presley
    on dancing with the stars?

    she looks like the joker from batman.
    (apparently she had a run in with a guy who was not trained)

    By Blogger Pamela, at 4:16 PM  

  • I was just amazed to turn round from celebrating New Year & find it was gone Easter already.

    I'd only blinked a few times, & knit several pairs of socks, mitts & legwarmers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:46 AM  

  • your not the only one that is confused by electronica" "dance" and "techno". I understand house music... going to an HBCU that had a huge DC area following... but all the other 3 remind me of his people high off something dancing with glow sticks.

    LMAO @ the collagen story. Why do people think that looks good. Funny how at one point white people made fun of black people for having big lips and now they are injecting crap in their face to get them.

    By Blogger Eb the Celeb, at 8:29 AM  

  • Kim, "lurking injectors" could be the title of a gory movie. Hang onto that one ;>)

    Monty, I have to confess this one flew right over my head.

    WoW, I don't think men like that. And enjoy those trips to Denver. Congrats again for the reason you're traveling there.

    Pamela, I've seen her. It does look like her cosmetic surgeon may've had his eyes closed during a procedure or two.

    Bronchitikat, time flies when you're trying to stay warm.

    Eb the Celeb, there's more irony out there than I have time to address. but all good points.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 4:04 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 4:04 PM  

  • Great! I can't wait to see the new site. And the new site name.

    I'll never know why some people don't leave well enough alone, and learn to love what the good Lord gave ya'.

    By Blogger GrizzBabe, at 10:18 PM  

  • Have you ever seen the movie First Wives Club? At the beginning, Goldie Hawn gets the collagen lips. It's hysterical!

    By Blogger Claudia , at 11:19 PM  

  • Coming soon, Grizz, coming soon.

    Claudia, I never saw that movie on purpose, but I have seen snippets on cable. And I do remember the previews. She got a pretty bad collagen job. But it was funny.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home