Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Monday, July 24, 2006

Is it Just Me?

I realize I'm not a native South Floridian, but someone tell me if I'm right: It's hot outside, these days, no?

I only ask 'cause over the past several days, with temperatures hovering in the low 90s, I have spotted at least a half dozen young women around Miami walking around in sweatsuits. I don't mean sweatpants. I mean full suits - the thick stretchy cotton pants, and the long-sleeved, heavy cotton jackets w/hoods, or hoodies as they're commonly called.

One woman we saw, while we melted in shorts and short-sleeves Sunday afternoon at Einstein Bros. bagel shop in Aventura, came strolling in wearing a velour warm-up suit...zipped up...with the sleeves pulled all the way down.

Am I nuts or is that nuts? It was 90-something degrees! Anyway, I saw several more today.

I know those cutesy suits can be fashionable, but I didn't think so in hot weather, unless you're Rocky Balboa training for a fight and you feel a need to sweat buckets as you run up the stairs to the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

But what do I know? Maybe long-sleeved hoodies and sweatpants are fashionable mid-summer gear in South Florida.

Just in case, I'm going to go home and break out my camel hair overcoat and a turtleneck sweater - the ones I didn't think I'd need to wear for a while after moving down here from Wisconsin last fall. If cold weather clothes in the summer are stylish, I don't want to miss out on the trend.

11 Comments:

  • Oh, please, they either have body issues or just think they look cute. It is too freakin' hot for that kind of attire. As a native Floridian, I can tell you that yes, it is supremely HOT these days.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:24 PM  

  • It's not just you. But you may be onto something with that Rocky reference. Perhaps they're just trying to sweat off some weight. Or hide it under something bulky.

    By Blogger The Sarcasticynic, at 8:25 PM  

  • Do you have one of those earflap hats? I think you need to sport that for an hour or two, no?

    Speaking as a former Wisconsonian (Rice Lake/Chetek/Beaver Dam-really)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 PM  

  • I'm thinking it's the Rocky reference.

    I also new this old lady back in Michigan who chain-smoked like crazy. It affected her circulation so badly that she had to check her mail in summer while wearing a winter coat and hat.

    On a side note, the Lox and Bagel at Einstein Bros is awesome.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 PM  

  • I SWEAR I saw a woman walking down the hall today at work wearing an overcoat. It was about 95 degrees outside.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:22 AM  

  • It may well be in the 90s outside, but don't you guys have air-con all over? Cos the temperature difference seems to require thicker clothing for going indoors.

    Mind you, the way the temperatures are set for the next couple of days a visit to the local mall, or a trip on one of the most excellently air-con'd local trains (provided I can find the correct platform) may well be in order!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 AM  

  • At some point every summer ("some point" being last week this summer), I catch myself grousing about the heat and then stop and laugh because, hello? Haven't I lived here my whole life? So why am I surprised?

    By Blogger Tere, at 9:32 AM  

  • I agree with bronchi. It's hot as gonads here in the north, and one of my co-workers had a turtle neck on yesterday. I about fainted, then I realized it's about 65 degrees in our building.

    By Blogger Rune, at 12:52 PM  

  • i thought it was justme, but I have seen a bunch of people lately wearing flannel hoodies and carharts...what frigg man, it is HOT !!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:14 PM  

  • Oh com'on James. Are you telling me you dont appreciate the vision of an overweight woman in sweats in 100 degree heat? the outift showing all those cute little sweat patches in certain areas?

    By Blogger Val Prieto, at 3:23 PM  

  • I had to come back and post because they've lowered the a/c in this building, and I had to put a sweater on!

    Guilty!

    By Blogger Tere, at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home