Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Be Straight With Me

I'm just returning home from a lengthy wrangling session with a new car dealer. And needless to say, I'm going directly to the freezer to grab a bucket of ice to soak and hopefully sooth my bum in.

For the world of me, I can't figure out why it is impossible for some people to give a straight answer. I don't need lectures on how dealers need to meet this cost and balance that expense. I didn't just fall off the back of the yam wagon.

But for once, I'd like to meet a sales person who says "This item will cost you this much, less the value of your deposit." Instead, it's always "We'll see," or "Let me check," or "Let me see what I can do." Deals can be made. I am proof. But man, it takes the equivalent of a climb up Mt. Everest to make it happen.

I felt like I was on an episode of Seinfeld, as I watched the sales manager and several sales folk standing around chatting, occasionally gesturing in my direction, nodding earnestly, shrugging, grimacing, chuckling on cue.

No one gives straight answers anymore. Maybe life is more complicated? Or maybe people are just more shady and can't do straight talk anywhere.

Either way, I'm gonna need to sit on one of those donut hole pillows tonight.

Sales people? More like nails people.

3 Comments:

  • it's not that life is more complicated now, JB3, it's that ppl think their lives are more complicated.

    ...that and you're right on the other end, ppl are just more shady now. It seems we all have walls up, be it in professional or personal situations.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 PM  

  • People make the small stuff big and the unimportant has to be rediculously IN YOUR FACE. I have to deal with a large un-named aerospace company about production and delivery schedules and everything they do defies logic.

    Me: "We only have 22 pieces, and it'll be 84 work days of production before I can get you more. That'll make it late September to early October."

    Them: "OK. I changed the purchase order. I'll take 22 now, and 18 on August 18."

    Me: ..... ???!?!?!?!.....

    I hate to say it, but it doesn't seem like anyone is just straight with you anymore. When they say they are being straight with you, that means they're B.S.ing you MORE.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 PM  

  • I know exactly what you feel like. I went with the misses yesterday to get a new car. Torture... I felt exhausted after that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home