Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Monday, May 29, 2006

Dirty Dog-Dropping Weasel & Bad Driver Update

Why update these different "types" of offenders in the same posting? 'Cause I equate them on the same level. Both are knuckleheads.

For the dog doo leavers, cops got to one of my neighbors. Hopefully he'll think about the cost of a ticket, and bring a bag with him next time he sneaks around the 'hood to let his dog go in common areas and other people's yards. And lady in the pink skirt suit who let your bichon frise go ON THE SIDEWALK near Hollywood Beach Sunday and left the business where it fell? Shame on you. I hope someone who was with you that morning reads this and calls you out.

As for bad drivers, in a three day period:
  • I got stuck behind a driver, who saw someone he knew stopped (or broken down) in the next lane over and sat through an entire stoplight, window rolled down, chitchatting casually with the driver in the stopped car. You could see both guys clearly yuckin' it up. Hey, if you see a friend broken down, pull over and ask 'em what they need. But to stop in the middle of rush hour, chat for a couple of minutes and then drive away chuckling as the line of cars behind you stretches across the state line, is a bone-headed thing to do.
  • I was trying to exit the parking garage at Bayside in downtown Miami and was forced to slam on breaks when out of a side lane a guy in tank-sized SUV darts across my path with mere feet to spare, in order to snag a parking space he apparently thought I was gonna take. That's smart. Risk a collision for a parking space.
  • And I got stuck for a half mile stretch behind a driver who rode straight down the center yellow line on a two lane road, preventing me from going around her. What was the big deal? She was driving about 10 MPH.

BTW, for you wise guys (so far no smart aleck ladies have joined the discussion) who only read the blog and don't realize I write news too, below are links on MiamiHerald.com to a few recent pieces of my writing. Enjoy.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14692591.html (about a West Point cadet); http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/14687318.htm (an interview w/comedian Tommy Davidson); http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/weather/hurricanes/14638188.htm (and a look back at my and my wife's first hurricane experience).

3 Comments:

  • Hey! are you saying Manola isn't a smart aleck???

    By Blogger Maria de los Angeles, at 11:08 AM  

  • I HATE the doggie doo leavers! My assigned parking space at our condo requires me to walk through a nice little grassy area to get in and out of my car. There is ALWAYS a fresh pile of poop directly in front of my car door, Since I drive an SUV, avoiding the poop piles requires all sorts of gymnastics when I get in an out. Sometimes I don't see it and step right in it. My husband put up a makeshift sign requesting that the owners of the dog(s) "stop being filthy subhumans" and clean up after their pets. It stopped for about 2 weeks, then resumed with a vengence. Excrement is just gross, no matter where it comes from.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM  

  • Hey, what was I thinking? Manola you get included w/the smarta$$ boys then. And BTW, I'm curious about your take on two entries prior to this, the one on when correcting someone for an error is not the right thing to do. Rick and I are at a standoff. And I want a neutral party to weigh in.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home