Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Sunday, June 18, 2006

WBAs, live from the AAA

So I'm sitting in a basement overflow press room at the America Airlines Arena in downtown Miami. And I just filed my tiny contribution to the Miami Herald's Heat/NBA playoff coverage, so I can take a breath now.

First, the Weekly Behavior Awards.

We got a few nominations this week, mostly for Bum of the Week. No one saw anything worthy of the Best Behavior Award? Sheesh!

From Rick C. - "I'm not sure if this is quite the right category, but I'd like to nominate the guy who came around a one way u-turn-under-an-underpass the wrong way while I was driving up it the right way a while back."

From BigBadWolf (http://bigbadwolfsblog.blogspot.com) - "Alright James, I'll jump in with a bad behavior suggestion. One of my coworkers was on his way to the grocery store and was sitting at a red light with 2 left turn lanes. He was at the front of the inside lane and an "old, crust redneck in a pickup" was in the lane next to him. The light went green and both made the turn. In the course of it, however, the pickup cut off my friend (during the turn) and they met again at the next light. My friend rolled his window down and asked the guy what was going on. Along the lines of "What the hell were you thinking?" The reply? "F*ck You!"I'd say that ranks up there for bad and stupid behavior."

Thanks to Bronchitikat (http://bronchitikat.livejournal.com), one of our friends from across the pond, for trying, with the nomination of Queen Elizabeth II for Best Behavior Award, for Her Royal Highness's endurance and impeccable manners.

My nomination for Best Behavior Award this week: the NYC cab driver who was rushing me to the airport Friday and quoted me a price for the cost of the drive. When we arrived at my terminal at La Guardia the fare ended up being about $5 more than the cabbie said. Now, what he'd given me was naturally an estimate. So he was well within his rights to demand every penny. However, he felt so bad about the meter being more than what he'd guessed that he insisted I pay the first, lower price he'd quoted. That moved me so much that I gave him the full fare. Maybe it was reverse psychology on his part. Or maybe he was just a nice guy.

And my nod for Bum of the Week: The small pantload of big $$$ fans at AAA, who nearly knocked over a guy in a wheel chair so they could dart past him and onto an elevator mostly reserved for media and physically disabled. He was at the head of the line waiting for the lift. Kudos to the guy in the chair for buckling down and forcefully rolling his way on. Ironically, a couple of the same pin heads who tried to shove their way past the guy ended up having to get off and wait for the next car 'cause that elevator was over-filled.

So there you have it. I don't know who wins this week. I always decide. And my opinion has been known to bite. I won't fake. I am going to watch the rest of the game. Tonight you guys decide. You tell me who wins the week's awards.

Until tomorrow,
JB

2 Comments:

  • My vote's on the sports fans.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 PM  

  • This is a little late, but all the idiots around here decided to wait until Monday to be rude. Went to the grocery store after work to get some dinner fixin's. I drove down an aisle of the parking lot and saw a space that was vacant near the front of the aisle. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw another car on the other side of the aisle turning in to the adjacent space so I waited to pull in so the other car could be stopped before I pulled into my side. Well, lo and behold, she pulled right through both spaces and took my space on my side! I mean, it's not like I was hiding my car. I was obviously waiting for her. In return, I drove around to the other side of the aisle and parked behind her even though on that side there were closer spaces to the front (not closer in relation to the door, however).

    Then...I get my stuff and have to go to a normal checkout to pay because the self-checkouts are closed for some reason. Of course I end up picking the slow lane, and it's slow because a guy is writing a check. How does one still write checks in this day and age when there are check cards??? When things are backed up already, it's just not advisable.

    And finally, I get near the conveyor belt, and the lady in front of me is watching her husband do all the work and stands directly at the front end of the conveyor belt while the cashier clears it, apparently unaware that other people behind her need to unload their stuff! By this time I had had it with the place, so I just reached around her and said "excuse me" (probably sounded really annoyed) and grabbed the conveyor belt divider you use between orders. I guess she got the hint because she finally moved up to where her husband was standing.

    What is with people?? No wonder I didn't hear anything about Indianapolis as being one of the nicest cities on the news this morning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home