Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Monday, June 12, 2006

I love (a trip to the public restroom in) New York!

At the risk of sounding like a slack-jawed yokel, I need to say that my mood this afternoon - which was already good - improved ten-fold when I walked to the can a short time ago.

No jokes, please. I'm not talking about feeling relief. I mean that when I got to the can, I was more pleasantly surprised than I've been in a long time. It was huge, and clean, and had a great view of downtown NY, bustling traffic, all the little ants on the sidewalk, below, etc.

You have to understand that this was a public restroom in a highly-trafficked government building. And you have to also understand - and my friends will verify this - that most of the time I'd rather hold it till my innards burst than use a public can.

Many public restrooms are nasty. And in the many vacation and few work-related visits I've made to NY, I've found some of the worst. I've usually required counseling after exiting a public restroom in NY and have not only wanted to burn the shoes I wore into that can but my feet for having been in those shoes.

This time was different though. This can was really nice and clean and pleasant... and again, large. I swear if it not for the "purpose" of this gargantuan room I could've sat there at the window, sipped a cup of coffee and just enjoyed that view. But, considering the purpose of the room, that would have been weird and gross of me. To be fair, this public can was locked and required a key code for entry. But this is NY. If someone wanted in that can badly enough, no pin number is gonna keep 'em out. So lock or no lock, I say this can was an amazing feat of...cleanliness?

So back to the grind. I may be nearly over my public can phobia. Won't know until I check it out again tomorrow.

5 Comments:

  • I think it must be the VA roots. I can't handle public cans, either. I'm famous for avoiding them at all costs. I'd honestly prefer a tree on the side of the road. Too bad here in NYC the trees on the side of the road are fenced in and usually there are loads of people on said street.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 6:10 PM  

  • So now that you've been to both which do you consider worse? I still say Miami is easily the armpit of the world.

    By Blogger B.D., at 1:44 PM  

  • Ha! Sorry dude. There's no way I'm calling Miami the armpit. I live there and have to return at the end of this week. I'll be diplomatic and say that both cities have good and bad points. The drivers up here are easily as bad as in Miami. But the diversity in Miami is easily as appealing as up here. I do see more trash on the streets here, but it's a bigger city. I'd say property costs are nearly a draw. The rudeness factor is interesting. I've always run into jerks while visiting NYC. This trip has just started off differently. So I'm not sure. I still have to give Miami the positive edge, 'cause it's home. It's like my sister used to say to her cool friends "My little brother might be a little snot, but he's my little snot." I may have issues w/some of the civility and lack thereof in Miami. But it's home, so I gotta support it and hope it improves.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 3:11 PM  

  • Ahem, read my blog. Check out pretty much anything from 7/05 - 3/06. All the reasons I will never live in Miami again are detailed for your viewing pleasure. The deciding factor? I live in an all Jamaican and Haitian neighborhood in Brooklyn and don't feel like the out of place white girl (and besides my 2 roommates, I am the only white girl). Why? Because people don't go out of their way to make me feel that way. I don't get called cracker or whitey or mami or bitch or any of the daily names thrown my way in my very own neighborhood in Miami... all because of my color. I haven't been grabbed on the walk home from the train or shoved into the street in front of a speeding car in NYC, either. I gave it a try, but Miami's racism and ignorance ruined everything else about the city for me. I'll take NYC any day. Sad, but true. I wish it wasn't the case.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 4:58 PM  

  • That's a cool sounding john there. I wish I could find one like that in Phoenix. I do, however, plan on putting toghether a spacious can in our first house.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home