Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Weekly Behavior Awards

OK, you guys just don't like me anymore. It's just me and Bronchitikat this week.

As usual, our friend from across the pond has attracted goodness like honey draws bees.

B's nod for Best Behavior: "Gotta nominate the white haired guy who, on seeing me trip up the kerb & land heavily on the pavement (clutz!), stopped his car & crossed the road to come & check that I was ok. He offered to help me up (no, thanks, I'd rather just sit & collect myself for a few minutes) & told me about the walk-in treatment centre just round the corner if I needed it (I didn't).On my assuring him I was ok, & thanks very much for bothering to check, he crossed back over, got back into his car & drove off. There are gentlemen out there! Yay! I now have grazed right elbow & knee & left ankle, oh, & the odd stiff bit where I landed!"

And my nomination for Bum(s) of the Week: The triflin' people who forced the management at my storage facility to issue moving carts like library books. I'll explain. Many of you know the wife and I have just been in Florida since the end of '05. And in typical South Florida fashion we have been moving reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally slooooooooooooooooooooooowly in getting certain things about our household set up. Don't get me wrong. My wife's a great organizer, and she essentially oversaw the renovation and set up of our house. But she and I both had a closet worth of stuff we couldn't seem to fit into the house and we weren't willing to give up - like winter clothes we might need again some day, and some of her teaching supplies. So we found one of those pay-by-the-month storage places a few blocks from our house and signed up. In the months after we first signed up I'd drive up to the place, unload a few things, grab a cart from just inside the door and lug my stuff upstairs. Well, lately I've been noticing that the carts were all gone when I arrived. I assumed it was just 'cause other customers had 'em. Turns out I was sort of right. I asked the manager where the carts were, and he said from now on I had to come to the front counter, leave my driver's license, and sign one out. I asked why. He said, because other customers were using the carts to move their stuff in or out of storage lockers and then stealing the carts. How much of a punk do you have to be to steal one of those flatbed moving carts? Why don't you just steal a grocery cart while you're at it?

It's a new work week tomorrow, folks, and we have some good stuff on deck for you. Coming Monday morning: the secret handshake.

13 Comments:

  • I just hate to be the only oine offering submissions. I'll have a BUCKET of them for you next week, I promise.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 PM  

  • Will do Og. I understand, but I'm gonna hold you to it come next weekend ;)

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 12:13 AM  

  • Huh????

    By Blogger Maria de los Angeles, at 11:32 AM  

  • Mel Gibson reads this blog?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 PM  

  • Um, hi self-loathing? Dude/Chick, you need help. As always, my disclaimer is I welcome all opinions. But that doesn't mean I can't comment on 'em.

    And first, I have no idea what any of your rant has to do with any part of the discussion. Second, get help for your self-loathing problem. I know too many people who hate themselves so much that they can't respect anybody and see the world in broad generalizations.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 2:13 PM  

  • Mr. Burnett orginally wrote: And my nomination for Bum(s) of the Week: The triflin' people who forced the management at my storage facility to issue moving carts like library books.


    Mr. Burnett then wrote to me: And first, I have no idea what any of your rant has to do with any part of the discussion.







    Im surprised that i have to explain to you why my post is relevant to your original post. Nevertheless, i will explain my original post.



    First, you are correct when you said the trifling people in this city. I agree with your opinion about trifling people in this city. Where we diverge is the trifling people in this city. You seem to make a broad sweeping statement as to implicate all the people in your neighborhood.

    I, however, tend to be a bit more pointed in who the trifling people are. Because you appear to be not only sensitive, but perhaps purposely vague as to who these trifling people are. I will refrain from being specific. As everyone, except you, affix the trifling people to the powers that run this corrupt city.

    Finally, your self-righeousness, and indignation as to the area i chose to write about is sad to say the least. Perhaps, you expect and demand that your visitors write "only" about what you want them to write about.

    You may be surprised to know that in this country there is something called freedom of expression and freedom of thought. This means that people see and interpret various meanings from a single article or post. Yes i know Mr. Burnett, this is a shocking concept that someone may take a different angle or possess a different school of thought than yours.

    I got a proposition for you. I will go get some counseling for my self-loathing mentality. If you will go back and take journalism 101 again at your southern, redneck, hick university that you attended.




    Nuff said,

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:52 PM  

  • Oy vay! Mel Gibson needs a drink!

    By Blogger Maria de los Angeles, at 3:59 PM  

  • manola,


    Sugah, are you equating me with Mel Gibson?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:02 PM  

  • Ha! Self-loathing, you are so full of it I'm gonna put on hip waders to keep my sandles from getting soggy and brown. I'm self-righteous for putting you in check over your racist name calling? How do I know you're Cuban? And even if you are, does that justify broad generalizations? And even if it doesn't justify them show me in my comments where I wrote you could not speak your mind. I said I welcome all comments. I just encouraged you to seek help.

    You brought this on yourself. If you've read this blog for more than a minute then you know that while I encourage people to speak their minds I also encourage people to maintain a certain level of civility, even in their criticisms. And you painting Cubans in Miami with such a broad brush is not civil, no matter how you try to twist it. Unless you can tell me that you know every Cuban in this town and have personally observed them engaged in the behavior you despise, then your comment was off base and out of line. Still, I never said you couldn't make it.

    You just exposed yourself by resorting once again to elementary school name calling.

    This isn't about different schools of thought. Read back further than today. I encourage you to check out the archives. People disagree with me all the time. But in this one regard, my blog, my rules. Disagree with anyone you want, including me but be a grown-up with it. If you can't, then be gone my friend. And don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

    BTW, "my southern redneck, hick university?" I think I'd remember that school. Somehow though, it doesn't ring a bell. You crack me up.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 5:19 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:24 PM  

  • James, it looks like you could do with a "Don't feed the trolls" sign around here somewhere. The piglet makes its nonsensical way around many of the Herald blogs, and those of a few others, as well. It will move on, and the smell eventually dissipates.

    By Blogger mkhall, at 8:52 PM  

  • Delete and ban, James. You're better than to allow yourself to be bothered by this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 PM  

  • So, he doesn't trust you with his cart, but you're supposed to trust him with your driver's license? He can't keep his own large carts from being stolen, and you're supposed to believe he'll do better with your license, and the very personal information that's on it?

    Amazing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home