Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Weekly Behavior Awards - Storm Edition

OK, so we're back. Some of you sent me some good nominations several weeks ago. And I swear I'll compile 'em for the next round.

But for now here are a few votes from me:

Best Behavior in my book goes to my next door neighbor for installing another neighbor's hurricane shutters for her, in advance of that blank-shooting Ernesto.

Biggest Bum goes to the guy in the blue pickup truck in the fuel line in front of me. I was on the street in my car, in a long line of vehicles waiting to do the panic fill-up a day before Ernesto was set to arrive. So I get within a couple of car-lengths of the pump, and my particular line stops moving. And I couldn't figure out why. As I'm trying to figure it out, I notice a guy come strolling by me heading away from the gas station. I think nothing of it. Eventually I figured out that the holdup was the blue pickup truck parked at the pump. The driver was nowhere to be found. So in my line we all sat there angry for about 20 minutes, wondering where the driver went and asking the station-lot attendant to have that heap towed. Just when I thought the other drivers were gonna lose it and torch the truck - I admit, I'd have supplied the matches - the guy who strolled by on the sidewalk 20 odd minutes earlier comes walking back toward the station carrying a McDonald's bag. And, you guessed it, he walks up to the pickup and climbs in. As people yell at him, he waves them off dismissively and drives off. Karma exists. He'll get his.

5 Comments:

  • Geez...

    I'm surprised y'all didn't move it yourselves!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 PM  

  • If you were to have an annual awards ceremony, I think this dude would get the oscar!

    By Blogger Maria de los Angeles, at 12:55 PM  

  • Karma: the blind hope that some mother fucker will "get his" when you know fer sure he probably won't. A lot of people suck, and most of them get away with it most of the time. Some even prosper at it. End of story. Deal.

    By Blogger FHB, at 3:39 PM  

  • *Shake my head in dismay.

    How rude. Sometimes, you really wish you had a couple ghetto-fabulous thugs around to straighten him out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:30 AM  

  • Wow! Only twenty minutes in line at McDonalds???

    By Blogger The Sarcasticynic, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home