Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Friday, November 24, 2006

Back to Reality

There's a hostage situation at the Miami Herald building right now. A gunman, a disgruntled former employee of El Nuevo Herald, the Herald Company's Spanish language daily paper. I'm not in the building, but I am aware of what's going down, thanks to a co-worker keeping me aprised.

So I have no humor for the moment. However, I will be posting later about the extent to which some people get disgruntled in work situations...and why some handle it better than others.

***UPDATE*** Now (1:20 p.m.) they're saying there are no hostages, but dude is still holed up in the El Nuevo Herald part of our building.

***UPDATE***It's after 5:30, and the situation is over. No hostages. No injuries. It's all good.

6 Comments:

  • The preliminary reports are stating that it was a fired cartoonist from the El Nuevo Herald. A disgruntled cartoonist. Who would imagine there would be tragedy in the life of a humorist.

    By Blogger The Sarcasticynic, at 2:02 PM  

  • Thank goodness there are no hostages! Hopefully the situation ends with no casualties.

    By Blogger GrizzBabe, at 3:50 PM  

  • Wow. Thankfully nobody was hurt. Holy cow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 PM  

  • Whew!!! I just saw the news about that and wondered how you were doing. I'm glad it ended without anyone getting hurt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 PM  

  • I'm glad everything turned out okay. I thought about you when I heard about the situation

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:57 PM  

  • Nichelle, and everyone else, thanks for the positive thoughts. I had taken the day off so I was watching it on TV like a lot of other folks.

    But I guess it turns out the guy had some other issues (money and a separation from his wife) going on in his life and may have been a little unstable as a result.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home