Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

You can't make this stuff up

I just noticed that the church on the corner of my block - the other end of the block, away from my house - is setting up for their annual festival/carnival thingy. It usually lasts a weekend.

Usually in the afternoons the church pumps instrumental (piano) versions of old-school gospel hymns over its sound system. You can hear 'em blocks away. It's a pleasant enough sound.

Last year this time though I was awakened from my bed on a Saturday morning to the strains of Highway to Hell. I got up shook the cobwebs out, and walked outside to see where the music was coming from.

It was blasting from the church festival. Go figure. This year they'll probably kick things off with Lucifer Loves You.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • You have a church on the corner of your house?

    That gives new meaning to the southern phrase, "...in church every times the doors open..."

    :-)

    By Blogger SWF42, at 3:45 PM  

  • Amazing. I guess devil music is ok as long as they play it on the oldies station ;)

    By Blogger none, at 3:57 PM  

  • "Sympathy For The Devil"--Motley Crue.

    By Blogger M@, at 5:19 PM  

  • Temporarily forgetting that you're in Florida, I thought "why in the world would they want to have a festival outside in March? It's freaking cold! What if it snows??"

    But, now I remember.

    By Blogger hyacinths and biscuits, at 10:11 PM  

  • bwahahaha!!

    i remember my old church carnival. i have no idea how any of us kids survived the rides of the Our Lady of Lourdes spring festival. those things were death traps. ;p

    By Blogger Knitty Yas, at 10:58 PM  

  • Maybe they can play "Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound" this year?

    By Blogger Jay, at 11:35 PM  

  • Email me if they start Sunday with the Stones' 'Sympathy for the Devil.' Although I agree with Jay, Whiskey Bent would be good, too as would The Devil Went Down to Georgia.
    ;-)

    By Blogger Michael C, at 12:11 AM  

  • Know your enemy, I guess.

    By Blogger Pamela, at 2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home