Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I'm not the authority

on good manners, civility, etiquette, etc., in case you thought I was. Kidding. I'd never assume that, but if you want to check out some other notions on the subject don't forget the excellent story on rudeness done last month by my Miami Herald colleague Martin Merzer. Here's the link: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14018316.htm.

BTW, some smart alleck asked what I do at the Herald to get paid other than update this blog. I write feature stories, many of which run in the Tropical Life section. I don't always think to plug my stories through this blog, 'cause I've never been great at shameless self-promotion - so so, but not great. But a couple of bosses told me to get over it and plug away.

Free Web access to those articles only lasts seven days from the posting of a story online at http://www.miami.com/miamiherald . If you want to see older articles online, sign up. It's a great deal. But only one piece I've done over the past couple of weeks is still available for free viewing - a Q&A from Monday's paper called Unbuttoned. It's a regularly weekly feature I do, in which I try to get behind the facades of interesting S. Florida characters with short, fast interviews. Here's that link: //www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/music/14245013.htm

Next up for me, a story on a specialty nursing program at Florida International University. Should run Sunday. I'll provide a link when it does.

Cheers.

BTW, I'm still waiting for nominations for my Weekly Behavior Awards (categories are Good Behavior & Biggest Bum). If you know or know of someone or just observed a situation that warrants mention in either category, give us a reply with the related story. So far Manola (http://www.sexandthebeach.blogspot.com) has made the only nomination.

1 Comments:

  • Nominee for Biggest Bum:

    The man at the Publix in Miami Beach who was yelling at the young woman tidying up the shelves. He was upset over the price of pre-packaged deli meat, particularly that he couldn't find any packages under $2.00. The woman smiled nervously at him, said she didn't know about the prices, and then moved to another section to work. He followed her saying "you don't know, you don't know, you don't know ANYTHING!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home