Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Monday, August 07, 2006

Had to do it

Folks, I've turned on comment moderation. If you don't know what that is, it means that whenever you leave a comment on my blog now you'll see a little pop-up note that says I have to approve it before it gets posted. It won't require any extra work on your part. It'll just require more vigilance and more frequent reading of the comments on my part.

No worries. I won't start blocking disagreeable comments and only allowing those that agree with me. I will, however, block comments that are mean-spirited with no purpose, spiteful with no purpose, or racist - in other words, comments that serve no purpose to further the conversation.

But the fact that a knuckle-dragging mouth breather taunted me into wasting a good chunk of time responding to his/her bone-headed comments this afternoon and evening compels me to put a check & balance system in place.

I didn't mind when he/she was saying stupid things to me. I actually thought it was a little funny in a sad sort of way. I have visions of a lonely old dude in a one-room efficiency under a single low watt light bulb, surfing the Web through a 14K modem on his Tandy, plotting clever comebacks to post to my blog - no doubt a half empty bottle of peach schnapps sitting nearby on his card table. But then this person reached out to another person who commented on my blog and with a goofy message. It may look like a simple flirty comment, but this person's temperament in earlier comments suggests it'll just lead to more tacky words. And I don't want another blogger getting hassled by a numbnut who found them through my blog.

Clearly this person needs help. And if I could I'd send over a social worker to make sure his/her shoes are tied and that he/she is wearing a crash helmet, eating fresh food, and looking both ways before crossing the street.

But alas, I don't know where to tell the social worker to look.

You know who you are. And you crossed the line from simply distasteful and rude to downright creepy when you tried to be lewd with a friend and regular reader of this blog.

And so the rest of you - especially those who tend to disagree with me - know that I'm not exaggerating the idiocy on display I've left up a couple of this person's comments. What better than his own words to give people a peek inside that head?

So as my uncle Will would say, out-of-line-commenter-who-fancies-yourself-a-barnyard-animal, you don't have to go home, but you have to get the H out of here!

Peace and hair grease.

11 Comments:

  • James, I think the guy's handle kinda said most of it! Though I reckon he's probably younger than your portrayal, & greasier!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:30 AM  

  • Thank you, thank you, thank you for stepping in!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 AM  

  • So all it takes is one pig to stink up the party. Usually that's me, but I'm glad someone else is the punchbowl loaf this time.

    Really, tho', I'm surprised it took us this long to get moderated. You've got some lookers posting up here, in addition to some, let's say, mildly opinionated folks who shamelessly promote an agenda regardless of the forum.

    Would you moderate in the same way if not affiliated with your media conglomerate du jour? Just wondering...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:54 PM  

  • Ha! Yeah, BD you're not the goat today.

    But seriously, to answer your question I'm not sure whether I'd moderate if this was just me and not affiliated w/a major media org. Maybe. I didn't turn on moderation because of my company affiliation though. I did it 'cause this guy was being a jerk to people (including me) and wasting my time.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 3:34 PM  

  • I've been out of it for a couple-o-days and just now got around to reading "it". I oh-so-desperately wanted to make the Mel Gibson equation, but alas, Manola beat me to it. Oh what the hell, I'll do it anyway....

    Settle down Mel, settle down. Once Judgement day comes, my people, oh, I mean, those people will gets what they deserve.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 PM  

  • BD, I don't always agree with you, but you act like a gentleman- or at least you have so far- and that deserves some respect. This other "punchbowl loaf" as you put it (LOL!) never earned that respect.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 PM  

  • "Great blog...
    Try my product/webcam/whatever..."

    I don't like those folks any more than I like the people who really shouldn't have made it past the sharing circle in preschool.

    Good for you, James. And well, good for the rest of us now that I think about it. :-)

    P.S. Your description of the mouth breather almost made me fall out of my chair. Bravo!

    By Blogger Melissa, at 7:50 PM  

  • Some people need hobbies, James. Well, better hobbies than lurking in dark corners of other peoples' blogs just waiting to cause a ruckus. That doesn't so much qualify as a hobby as it qualifies for pathetically annoying drivel. Good for you for moderating. I applaud and thank you.

    And what's with calling everyone shugah? Or some equally misspelled variant. I may be sweet as sugar, but that isn't my name.

    Neither is "hey whitey", which is what I got last week walking home. Right here in Brooklyn! It was actually funny this time. I told the guy that wasn't my name just like "hey blackey" isn't his name and his buddies laughed and he looked mortified. It was strangely refreshing.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 7:59 PM  

  • Sorry if I entered comments twice, James. My computer went all wonky and I wasn't sure if the 1st one registered. Use your fine editorial discretion. :-)

    By Blogger Melissa, at 8:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 2:48 AM  

  • Man, comment moderation sucks! I keep forgetting I have to clear remarks before they publish. Up at 2:30ish to let the dog into the yard and I realized I hadn't "moderated" since this morning. Oh well, I'll get the hang of it.

    My excuse: I'm trying to finish a couple of articles before Friday, 'cause I'll be on the road most of next week - in Indianapolis, in case anyone has recommendations on places to eat or tip a pint. It's been a few years since I was there.

    Anywho, you're welcome Bronchitikat, B, Big Daddy, Dogncatmom, mkh, Manola, Melissa, Og, and anyone else who is open to free speech but not willing to let the irresponsible use it as a poorly veiled excuse to be verbally abusive to other people in other people's houses (thanks for that analogy, Og).

    Melissa, I think you're right on that Weekly Behavior Award nomination. And good for you for checking the guy who called you by your look and not your name. Sometimes you can't be nice. You have to be blunt and check people so they realize you're not a punk.

    As for the mouthbreather, he described himself for me. I'm gonna let it go, but I do have one final word on that whole thing. I'll post it shortly.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home