Subscriber Services Weather

Burnett's Urban Etiquette

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Crikey Indeed

R.I.P. Crocodile Hunter.

On the serious tip I'm sorry he passed away. I thought the guy was funny, energetic, and if you could cut through the goofiness, even a great educator. Hey, I admit I liked to watch him on Animal Planet.

Plus, it's sad to see any apparently good father of young children die while he's still relatively young too.

But honestly, could we not see this one coming? He'd had his hand bitten by a croc. He'd been bitten in the face by a snake.

If not a stingray, then it would have been a gator. If not a gator, then a boa constrictor. If not a boa, then a king cobra. If not a cobra, then a great white shark. If not a great white, then a giant jellyfish. If not a giant jelly, then a croc. If not a croc, then a South Florida driver. And so on and so forth.

It was sad and all, but my pops used to always say from the pulpit that there's a fine line between faith and foolishness.

Tempt fate too often, and it's only a matter of time before you slide onto the wrong side of that line.

7 Comments:

  • I am sorry too, especially for the wife and kids. But precisely, the man tempted fate so much, still lived a very rich and full life, died doing what he loved, and left an amazing legacy. It would've been very ironic if he had been killed by a South Florida driver indeed! One thing that his passing reminds me of is the importance of living your life fully doing what you are really passionate about. Actually it is really ironic that the stingray pierced him through his heart. He might've survived had he been pierced on the limbs.

    By Blogger Maria de los Angeles, at 12:27 AM  

  • yeah, I feel bad he's gone. He was, if nothing else, entertaining. I hope his wife and child do well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:00 AM  

  • Manola hit it spot on. What did you expect? Found dead in a retirement home with his face in a bowl of oatmeal?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • Yeah. Maybe NASCAR racers should quit their jobs and sell flowers for a living so they are less likely to die and leave a wife and kids behind. And maybe Las Vegas illusionists should stop working with tigers.

    By Blogger The Sarcasticynic, at 9:05 PM  

  • Sorry guys, but don't kill the messenger.

    I never said the manner of Croc Hunter's death was a travesty or an outrage. I said it was sad.

    Truth is Phil, what I expected - not that I thought about this on anything close to a regular basis - was exactly what happened, for this guy to die a violent death at the paws, claws, teeth, tail, or stinger of a wild animal.

    I'm not passing judgment on him. I agree that he led a full life and seemed thrilled with his life. I'm just saying his manner of death should not be too much of a surprise.

    Same goes for you Sarc, in case you weren't being sarcastic this time. If Nascar drivers want to go fast in circles and risk crashes more power to 'em. And if the Siegfrieds and Roys of the world wanna ride tigers like ponies more power to 'em. But if they meet untimely deaths in the process, I'm sure we can all agree it won't be a surprise.

    By Blogger James Burnett, at 9:47 PM  

  • I'm sorry he's gone, but all seemed to have missed the cruel irony of the fact that he was filming a show called "The Ocean's Deadliest Creatures" when he was killed. I doubt he seriously considered the stingray in the "lethal" zone when so many white and tiger sharks roam the Great Barrier Reef. I'm sure the segment alluded to the painful danger posed by a sting, but not a deadly danger. Go figure

    Anyway, R.I.P. Crikey Steve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 AM  

  • i loved the guy for what he was trying to do, get people to see the non cute animals as worthy of saving as well. on the other hand, his getting killed by a wild animal wasn't a big surprise either. i'm amazed it wasn't a snake or crok.the animal shows need to back off from the animals,if they feel theatened they will attack,thats how they survive.zoom lens on cameras are a good thing, and might just save the next guys life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home